More information for the 2020 Elections for Hawai'i County will be posted as soon as it's released, so be sure to keep checking!
Starting with the 2020 Elections, voting in Hawai'i will be primarily by mail. Ballots of registered voters will be mailed to their voter registration addresses at least 18 days before the Primary Election (Aug. 8th) and Election Day (Nov. 3rd).
In-Person at 2 Voter Service Centers
10 days before the Primary Election and Election Day, two Voter Service Centers will be open to (a) offer in-person voting, (b) offer same day voter registration, and (c) receive hand-delivered, mail-in ballots.
Hawai'i Island Voter Service Centers:
- East Hawai'i - Hilo
- West Hawai'i - Kailua-Kona
Register to Vote / Confirm Your Voter Registration Address
There are 769,000 registered voters in Hawaii, but over 14% of them are inactive because of outdated addresses.
Check registration status, update your existing voter registration, or confirm your voter registration address for the Vote by Mail ballot -- all online through the Hawai'i State Office of Elections. Outside Hawai'i County? Check with your county.
To register to vote, you must be:
- A U.S. citizen
- A resident of the State of Hawai'i
- Be at least 16 years of age (Hawai'i law allows pre-registration at 16 but you cannot vote until you are 18).
Voter Registration Centers will also offer same-day voter registration (see above).
Enter your address for personalized voting information*:
- See what's on your ballot
- Check your voter registration
- Discover upcoming debates in your area
- And more
* The 2020 Voter Guide for Hawai'i County will be available after the candidate filing deadline in May 2020.
* Click here for a Hawai'i County Charter Commission Update on Aug. 8th, 2019, which includes proposed charter amendments.
* Click here to read LWV Hawaii State President Piilani Kaopuiki's testimony on removal of registered voters from from registration rolls at the Hawai'i State Elections Commission on October 29th, 2019.
- Election Day
- Primary: August 8, 2020
- General: November 3, 2020
- Voting closes at 7:00 p.m.
- Voter Registration Deadlines
- Primary: July 9, 2020
- General: October 5, 2020
- Absentee Ballot Request
- Primary: August 1, 2020
- General: October 27, 2020
- Voter Service Centers
- Primary: July 27 - August 6, 2020
- General: October 20 - October 31, 2020